Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My breast cancer story.

I have had a couple of comments (nothing bad) about my bilateral mastectomy, so I thought I would share information about my breast cancer experience.

In August 2001, I was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ cancer in my right breast. Mine was in the early stage, and I decided to have a lumpectomy followed by radiation. I had my surgery on September 10th, 2001. I had a reaction to the anesthesia so I remained in the hospital overnight. As I was preparing to leave, we heard on the news about the planes flying into the World Trade Center. Not the best of days. I was scheduled for six weeks of radiation treatments.  I did fairly well with the radiation treatments. I had a bit of burn, but nothing like some women have. I had 3 treatments left to go when I received a call from the physician who read the original mammograms. I was asked if anyone had told me about the possibility of cancer in the left breast. I told them no and they told me I needed to come in for a biopsy. Not good news, especially when I was almost through my treatment. It turned out I had cancer in my left breast. I had been told that I had atypical cells in my right breast even after radiation and would have to have a mammogram every 6 months.  I could not handle the added stress of worrying every 6 months about a recurrence, I did not want to live like that.

My Doctor told me that if I had a bilateral mastectomy that I would most likely not have a recurrence.  I decided to go ahead and have the surgery. I really thought I would recovery quickly and be back at work in no time at all. That did not happen. I had a lot of swelling and drainage and one side of my chest had a wound that just would not heal. I had pretty much decided against reconstruction and as it turned out, I probably would not have been able to have it anyway. I had previously had breast reduction surgery and as a result of that I had a lot of scar tissue that cause complications.

I wish that I had not had breast cancer, but the experience made me a much stronger person. I did do some crying and some "why me" questioning, but overall I was determined that I would not let the cancer define me. Most of the time I don't even think about it much. It is really hard to find clothing that looks good on me, especially as a plus-size. I do think about it when shopping as I often find things I love that don't work on me at all. I do not want to try to wear prosthetics as I have known a few women who had a horrible time with them and they can be horrible expensive.

I am not writing this to get sympathy, I only want to share my story. Every woman who has breast cancer has to deal with it her own way, mine is to celebrate the fact that I am alive and well almost ten years after I was diagnosed.  Please get mammograms and checkups as prescribed by your Doctor.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. Most of us fear cancer with a feverish fear, and your story helps us realize we can live through it and beyond it. Your honesty helped a lot of us today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this must be a bit painful even to talk about. I never would have known if you had not told your story. You're gorgeous, inside and out! Big hug! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this story...I have so many friends, unfortunately, who have walked the same walk. Your decision took great courage and writing the story here took great courage...with that courage you can help many other women! You always look great..I never would have known!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I want to apologise for leaving my comment on your blog instead of emailing you. Your story is a testimony of God's Grace and it is so encouraging. You are such a special lady and I honour your courage and strength. It would have been easy to crawl under a rock and hide but you chose to keep on keeping on and that can help so many women going through what you went through. Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You're a brave and beautiful woman. I'm glad you're well and blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for posting, fortunately I haven't had to deal with that and don't know anyone who has but your post is an inspriration to remember. You are so brave. Too many times we let our bodies define us....see TV, magazine ads, etc. You're a real woman! thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not going to say you got off easy because all that surgery, worry and the ongoing challenge of dealing with missing body parts is never easy, but I'm sure you've got plenty of gratitude that those days are fading in your rear view mirror and that you are cancer free.

    For all of the hype and money that's been spent on "finding a cure" it's frustrating how little actual progress for women with advanced disease has been made.

    Here's to a long and happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother is a breast cancer survivor, but had only the one breast removed--chemo and radiation. I think it has created some complications of balance etc. Like you, she foregoes the prosthetics. Did you find that your emotions about 9/11 events got all balled up with what you were going through or did your medical problem prove to take precedence over national events?

    I was once sent to a surgeon for a biopsy--only to discover that the mammogram technician had mislabeled the films. He was furious and I spent two anxious weeks...I have very mixed feelings about mammograms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story touched me very close, the feeling is horrible, but you're a strong woman now and your experience can help many people overcome fear, thanks for sharing a story so interesting is the foundation of femininity. A warm hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your story. It's a personal thing that is very tough. I've been blessed not to experience any family members to go through this, but I know it is a harrowing experience nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your story. My grandmother recently passesd away from breast cancer, my aunt is a survivor, and we had a scare with my sixteen year old daughter last year with a lump. It's so nice to hear that you have had a good recovery and that you remain positive. This is very personal, so hopefully your story will help others.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete